The history of the barn
Barn Renovation Skipton
The Journey of the barn
The building is thought to have been the barn used for collecting tithes from the township of Stirton for the support of the vicar of Skipton parish and probably dates to the C17. The roof structure retains clear evidence that it was once part of a timber-framed building dating to the early C17, potentially earlier. The 1774 Enclosure Act for Skipton (which also covered Stirton) awarded the vicar of Skipton various parcels of land in lieu of tithes. As a result, the tithe barn is believed to have been converted into a more general purpose barn with the creation of a threshing floor, with an inserted winnowing door to the centre of the eastern elevation and the enlargement of the cart entrance to the centre of the west elevation.
The building eventually fell into disrepair with the roof collapsed and in danger of falling down so Clive and Gizelle Armstrong, who in an adjoining property, purchased the barn from the Catholic Trust in 2017 and began a restoration project. After the building was brought back to life, it was used as offices until 2024 when it was changed to a residential setting.











